Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day: A Day of Remembrance, Reflection, and Gluten/Dairy Free Macaroni Salad


Traditionally, Memorial Day is a day of not only epic parades, but also massive feasting with friends and family. I'm sure everyone comes up with a similar image in their head when they hear Memorial Day: BBQ's, hot dogs, hamburgers, potato chips, and pie with ice cream. Even given my many tummy troubles, I am still one such person who pictures the day as such.

So this year when my mom brought up the annual Memorial Day/Brothers' Birthday Party BBQ at our house, I decided to take matters into my own hands and to create a scrumptious dish (and hoard it) for myself. I figured that would ease the blow of the massive rolls covered in butter, fudgey birthday cake, and creamy brownie ice cream that would be dished out.

In my search I turned to my favorite and always delicious Cooking For Isaiah cookbook to see what Silvana had in terms of BBQ food. I marked pages with traditional potato salad and leafy green salads when I came across the Macaroni Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Olives*...my mouth immediately started watering plus it looked like it would appear to be "real" food so I could really feel like one of the group ; )

It was relatively easy to make, took only a handful of ingredients, and was amazingly refreshing and delicious. Although the original plan was to hoard it all to myself, I graciously doubled the recipe and scooped a big serving into a tubaware for only me : )


*Macaroni Salad Recipe

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely presentation! I hope that I'm over my aversion to sun dried tomatoes soon so I can enjoy this, too :(

    ReplyDelete