Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Back in the Swing of Things! (new allergies in tow)

And we're back! After a crazy senior year, move, and a complicated allergy test I'm back with new and exciting recipes and suggestions to pass along!

First things first: new allergies. After a very itchy allergist visit, endoscopy and visit with my tummy doc we've added quite a few new allergies to the list, including peppers, soy (hence the title change), beans, & strawberries among others. Once I threw myself a very successful pity party, I set out to find new yummy recipes and places to satisfy my seemingly endless cravings.

Taking one step at a time, it seems only fitting to jump exactly one year since my last post: memorial day.

This memorial day took a bit of a different form this year. Our traditional family get together (aka my day to create an allergy-free feast) was on Sunday. For my spread, I took notes from a few different vegan magazines and added my own twists. One of my. personal favs was a cucumber salad with Dijon dressing; let's call it French-Ish Cucumber Salad. The cucumbers are thinly sliced, giving them a light satisfying crunch and the tangy Dijon dressing coats the tongue, providing the perfect spice to the cool cucumbers...oh so beuno! In terms of chips, I bought some Veggie Straws to snack on like everyone else, it's only fair ;) . For dessert, I bought myself raspberry sorbet and made a balsamic fig dressing to give it that little extra something. Needless to say, I went to bed quite fluffy and satisfied!

On the actual memorial day, Jenni and I decided to go big and headed out to Ann Arbor for restaurant hopping. We started at Cafe Felix with a few Mimosas...sooooooo gooood! We then went to our personal favorite pomme frites location: Jolly Pumpkin. We indulged in warm marinated olives, Blackbird martinis, rosemary pomme frites (or French fries for the non-French speakers), and grilled romaine salads. For those who share my soy allergy, avoid the aioli that comes with the fries and salad dressing, those with dairy allergies get the salad sans potato croutons, sadly it has cheese baked in. After dinner we headed back to end the day at Cafe Felix, which has 1/2 off martinis on Monday's 7pm-11pm; Hollar! I sipped a John Daley and watched the sun set, perfect way to end a perfect day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment