Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Banana Cookies for Only 7 Calories?! Yes : )


It is no secret, I love love love my bananas. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, dessert, you name it, I'll add a banana to it. So when two of my bananas went too bad/bruised to eat, I was not simply going to toss them away; that would just be silliness. Instead, I decided to combine three of my favorite things: bananas, cinnamon, and cookies : )

After much searching through  various banana cookie recipes, I decided to combine a few with a gluten/dairy free twist. I started by replacing the regular all-purpose flour with the Silvana's gluten free flour  mix from the Cooking For Isaiah cookbook. After those came out moist and gooey and overall amazing, I decided to move towards an even healthier version by replacing the eggs and butter. For the butter I tried two different versions: oil and applesauce. In the end the applesauce came out the most moist and had the least amount of calories. I replaced the egg with organic, cage free egg whites. My final adjustment came when I replaced the sugar. Not generally pleased with the flavor and texture that Splenda and its imitators in terms of a sugar replacement in baking, I decided to try a natural version that didn't contain tummy upsetting chemicals. This little adjustment not only kept the flavor similar to the original, but helped dramatically decrease those nasty calories.

In the end, I was able to make some of the most delicious gluten free, dairy free, almost vegan banana cookie poppers* that were only SEVEN calories and practically no fat per teaspoon+ cookie...in my mind, this equals success : )

1 comment:

  1. The photo you chose for this post sums up how I feel about these cookies exactly :)

    ReplyDelete