Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stormy Night Genius Gluten Free, Dairy Free Mac & Cheese With A Kick

So one thing that I have dearly missed from my dairy/gluten friendly days is Mac & Cheese. The rich creamy cheese tossed with the warm, soft, chewy noodles [spiral or shell, depending on my mood, i.e. playful or sophisticated ;)] was just heaven in my mouth, making any rough, cold winter day melt away with the cheese. After the lactose intolerance diagnosis, I switched to Amy's Kitchen Macaroni & Soy Cheese to get my fix. It was still delicious, rich, not too filling; kinda like a grown-up Kraft Mac & Cheese.

However, when I was hit with the gluten tummy issue I had to regrettably drop my new found Macaroni fav. In an effort to maintain some normalcy in my new diet I searched the health stores and fancy markets for a gluten free dairy free packaged Mac & Cheese (at this point Amy's did not have the Rice and Soy Macaroni out yet), but there was only one that I found from Annie's Organic which was not for me and I essentially gave up.

Then, after a majorly rained out Tigers game, I returned home in the torrential downpour seeking something warm and comforting. That's when I decided I just had to try and make my own dairy free, gluten free Mac & Cheese. So I dug through our cupboards, pulling out a half-full box of spiral rice noodles, a carton of unsweetened rice milk, a package of Veggie mozzarella shreds, and a package of Smart Beat fat free/lactose free American cheese slices and set to work experimenting.  First I got the noodles started (cause as I'm sure those who have cooked gluten free noodles before know...they take forever!!), then I set to work figuring out how to make a good sauce. Half a carton of milk and a package of cheese slices/shreds later, I had a heaping pot of awesome tasting cheese sauce. My sister, ever the good sport, and I took two big bowls and filled them with noodles and then drenched them in the sauce. After adding a dash of salt and of pepper we were good to go. The first warm gooey bite was beyond anything I had hoped...it was just like the Amy's only creamier and practically half the fat and calories Hurray! I finished the entire bowl and then some!*

During the past couple days, during my post-gum surgery diet, I had started craving this Mac & Cheese and decided to try to make it and add a new twist on it. So I made it like before, then sprinkled in some garlic salt and basil and it was awesome! Soft enough to eat with my gums and the new kick to make-up for everything else bland and watery I had been eating. Double win means a tummy and happy girl : )

*See Recipes Page for Stormy Night Genius GF/DF Mac & Cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment